The Key Features And Benefits of Data Validation Software
Ordinarily, the old axiom “slowly but surely” is a sound one to live by. It implies that the longer you take with a particular task, the more accurate and thorough your results will be. However, table checking may just be the one exception to the rule.
No matter how much time you invest in manually checking tables and charts, how many levels of review or how many different departments you involve in the process, the task can be, more often than not, time consuming, inefficient and prone to errors. Even with the highest of precautions it is almost inevitable that inaccuracies will slip through.
Enter data validation software, such as table checking tools, which allows you to automatically check data tables and find inconsistencies across all standard tabulation packages. Automating your data validation and table checking ensures accuracy and saves time, enabling you to focus on other aspects of research.
In order to simplify the checking process and practically eliminate the possibility of erroneous results, a good data validation software package must include the following features:
- It should require minimal set up and have a library of preinstalled checks. This means you should be able to begin checking your data tables almost immediately, eliminating the need to invest great deals of time and resources in creating, reviewing and installing customized checks.
- It must be designed for ease of use. Your software must be sufficiently user-friendly as to not require any specialist-level programming skills. To make this software work to your advantage, your data processing, research and support staff must be able to master it quickly.
- It must be capable of generating a thoroughly detailed report. The final report should ideally indicate which tables passed or failed checks, and it should highlight tables with inaccuracies by using options such as screenshots to provide an easy-to-read visual analysis.
- It should be able to check multiple tab sets across all your data files. This option speeds up checking time considerably and improves efficiency because it prevents the duplication of tasks.
- It should contain a full-featured built-in scripting language. Ideally, you should have flexibility to put aside the check designer and write script checks for complex tables yourself.
Passing on inaccurate information to a client is absolutely unacceptable. With your company’s reputation riding on your deliverables, even the smallest of mistakes can have immeasurable negative consequences. Therefore, utilizing a good data validation software package is a must.